Papers of BAS, Humanities and Social Sciences
Vol. 3, No 1, 2016
OLD GLORY RETURNS: THE PORT OF VARNA AND THE TRADE IN BULGARIAN LANDS DURING THE THIRD QUARTER OF THE 19TH CENTURY
Abstract: In this article a review and an analysis is made of the movement of goods (import and export) and ships (number, tonnage, crews) through port Varna in the 1850s - 1870s on the basis of the reports of the brothers Adolphe-Salvator and Emmanuel-Marius Tedeschi, who exercised the functions of Austrian, French and Belgian consuls in Varna. In the third quarter of the 19th century the port in Varna turns to a débouché of the central and northeastern Bulgarian lands, of one big part of today’s Northern and Eastern Bulgaria, which was known to the Europeans from this epoch with the collective name Bulgaria. The good recognition of the traffic through port Varna in the 1850s-1870s gives a good and precise idea of the trade in the main part of the Bulgarian lands in general. This period is significant because of the raised trade interests of Europe in the Balkan provinces of the Ottoman Empire, which increased sensibly after the removal of the monopoly on grain and the conclusion of the trade conventions in 1838–1846 between the Ottoman Empire and 13 countries in Europe.
Key words: port of Varna, trade, Ottoman Empire, consul, consul report, import, export, goods, ship